Resources and Links
(all addresses are for San Francisco, unless otherwise noted)
City Attorney's Office
Can help take action against musical rooming and code violations in hotels.
San Francisco Department of Building Inspection
Inspects buildings with code violations such as broken windows, walls, or doors and plumbing or electrical problems.
*Call the Tenderloin Housing Clinic's Code Enforcement Outreach Program first for advice and help at (415) 771.2427.*
(415) 558.6220 Housing Inspection (415) 558.6030 Electrical Inspection (415) 558.6054 Plumbing Inspection
1660 Mission St. (8:00am-9:00am or 4:00pm-5:00pm are the best times to call)
Eviction Defense Collaborative
Provides assistance with responses to eviction (Unlawful Detainer) notices. Also can help some tenants with loans for back rent.
(415) 431.8831 433 S. Van Ness Ave. (10am-12noon and 1:00pm-3:00pm)
San Francisco Fire Department, Bureau of Fire Prevention
Inspects buildings for fire hazards.
(415) 558.3300 698 2nd St.
Homeless Advocacy Project
Provides free legal help to people on the street, in shelters, in residential hotels who are at risk of becoming homeless.
(415) 575.3130 465 California St., Ste. 1100
San Francisco Health Department
Inspects for health code violations, such as unsanitary garbage, rodents, lead paint, etc.
(415) 252.3800 101 Grove St.
San Francisco Housing Authority
Places people on waiting list for housing projects and Section 8 vouchers.
(415) 554.1200 220 Turk St.
Living Resource Center San Francisco
Offers a variety of services for people with disabilities, including peer counseling, employment counseling, housing referrals, and help applying for rental assistance programs.
(415) 543.6222 649 Mission St. (at 3rd), 3rd floor (M-Th: 9:00am-5:00pm, F: 9:00am-3:00pm)
Mayor's Office on Housing
Maintains a list of low-income non-profit housing available or soon-to-be available.
(415) 252.3177 25 Van Ness, Suite 600 (M-F 8:00am-5:00pm)
For research on property deeds, mortgages (deeds of trust), liens, partnership interests, etc.
(415) 554.4579 (general information) (415) 554.5596 (property ownership records)
One Carlton B. Goodlett Place (City Hall) Room 190 (8:00am-5:00pm)
To find out who your landlord is in San Francisco, click here.
San Francisco Rent Board
For filing of petitions to enforce the Rent Ordinance (your tenants' rights) against your landlord.
(415) 252.4600 (24-hour recorded information) (415) 252.4602 (To talk to a counselor) 25 Van Ness Ave., Suite 320
(8:00am-5:00pm for walk-ins) (9:00am-noon and 1:00pm-4:00pm for phone counseling)
San Francisco Tenants Union
Provides tenant counseling and lawyer referral for members on a sliding scale, as well as advocacy for tenants rights.
(415) 282.6622 558 Capp St. (at 21st)
Small Claims Court
Decides on suits for up to $5,000, with no lawyers for either side. Tenants can sue over poor conditions.
(415) 551.3952 General Information (415) 292.2124 Legal Advisor 400 McAllister St. Room 103
St. Peter's Housing Committee/ Comite de Vivienda San Pedro
Provides renters' rights counseling in Spanish and English.
(415) 487.9203 474 Valencia St., Suite 156 (9:00am-5:00pm)
Tenderloin Housing Clinic
Provides free legal services for SRO tenants and facilitates code enforcement.
(415) 771.9850 126 Hyde St. (at Golden Gate) (9:00am-5:00pm)
a member of the Central City SRO Collaborative
San Francisco Mental Health Association, a member of the Central City SRO Collaborative
San Francisco Coalition on Homelessness, good allies
Tenants Association Coalition, good allies